The gems of automated transcription

Like many other people, I recently switched my class online. As much as this is a minor inconvenience, it hasn't been too hard to adapt to the new platform in all of its impersonal glory. Of course teaching in-person is way better, but if there's one positive thing from the whole experience, it has to be the automated audio transcripts that Zoom offers. I know, I know, for all you YouTube addicts I'm late to the party. But the particular way in which automated speech-to-text screws up mathematics is pretty entertaining. I made the mistake of naming some region $Q_t$, so my audio transcript now has "cutie" written all over the place.

I particularly enjoy the varieties of names which appear. One common one was "Emma," most often when I set "$M$ a manifold." It was also good to show support for "Sophia," or maybe just $\phi_i$ was supported somewhere? Or during a mirror symmetry reading seminar, we met the Hadrian siblings: Polly and Apollo, both studying polyhedra. One of them is a pilot, indeed a pilot Hadrian. They have a cousin Alejandro ("polyhedral"). They're all Polynesian.

Here are a few more errors which I found to be amusing. I learned that I use the word diffeomorphism a lot in my class, and it will never transcribe correctly.

Asymptotic cone:

"speck of the ass and Tarik Cohen"

"the atom Todd Cohen"

"the awesome Tata code"

"that's my ass and tonic colon"

Determinant:

"feminism and transpose"
(determinant of N-transpose)

Diffeomorphism:

"g inverse is also a difficult Marxism"

"a composition of primitive defeat Marxism"
"what is a primitive defeat Mormonism"

"and I have a primitive a few more Sufism"

"this is a primitive a few more fascism"

"opposition have committed a few more prisms"
(composition of primitive diffeomorphisms)

"I have an ice amorphous"

"it's a different Morpheus"

I'll draw something:

"maybe even all Bill Johnson kind of crazy"
(apologies to anyone named Bill Johnson)

In some sense:

"we can restrict to rectangles and sunsets"

Integrable / Integrability:

"the absolute value is interoperable on A"

"we can talk about indigo ability"

Isometries:

"I saw the trees preserve the dot product."

"I saw imagery"

Lemma:

"it's a llama"

"it's really two llamas combined"

"this suggests the following Lana"

Oops:

"boobs"

Orthonormal:

"this is an author normal set"

Paired:

"the only ones which Perignon negatively"

Parallelopiped:

"the volume of the parallel pipe, Ed"

"parallel pipettes"

$\underline{\mathbf{\mathbb{R}^n~/~\mathbb{R}^k}}$:

"on our end"

"is going to land an arcade"


Comments

Popular Posts